a la Mr. Letterman, here’s my top 10 list of the best things to do when you can’t run:
10: swear at all the runners you see out on the road when you’re driving by.
9. continue to wake up at 5am, put your running clothes on (complete with shoes), realize you’re not healed yet and lie back down in bed.
8. knit a new sweater.
7. test all the “recovery” recipes from your new Runner’s World cookbook on the off chance that “recovery” means from an injury and not a race.
6. continue to eat and drink as though you’re running 30-35 miles per week (see #7).
5. organize your running clothes. first by color, then season. unfold it all, and then re-fold it. and then reorganize, but this time by season and then color.
4. log on to Daily Mile at least 4 times a day to see if your training stats have miraculously increased from 0.
3. buy a new running shirt. Just in case.
2. constantly try on your running shoes. Just in case.